Monday 19 October 2009

x




















Hello!
So, I thought I was going to have nothing to write for this week, but I have just made a list and I actually have done quite a lot! One flew over the cuckoo's nest turned out to be a bit of a disaster. The director had made it into a comedy/musical. So it was very odd indeed, but we had to be very polite about it becasue the girl who took us had seen it 8 times!
The next day, Eva and I decided to go out of town to this massive tourist market where they sell all the usual touristy stuff such as fur hats, matrioshka dolls, icons... We had a really great day though and had a nice time chatting away with all the market sellers too. It was an absolutely freezing day and we ended up having to buy some gloves!
On Tuesday, pretty much the whole group of us English students went to watch an ice hockey match. It was absolutely brilliant! We didn’t get off to a great start because we ended up at an empty stadium where there was no one else to be seen! Luckily though, two men were rushing past and when we asked them if they knew where the stadium was they told us they were going too! So we followed them and weren’t actually too late. Apparently we missed the national anthem though! The match was really exciting though! I don’t usually like watching sport, but I got really into it and even surprised myself when I jumped up after ‘our team’ had scored! In my opinion, there could have been a few more fights; I wanted to see blood on the ice! By the end of the game, we were drawing 3 all, so it went into extra time, but even after this no one had scored. So it then went to penalties and then even after the 3 chosen men had gone, we were still drawing. So it then went into sudden death! It was brilliant, very exciting!
On Thursday, I went for a very civilised one drink and then decided to take some photos around the area I live in. We have been told that there is a photo competition at school and we all have to bring in a selection of our favourite photos. The theme of course is ‘your impressions of Moscow’. So I thought I would try and capture Russian life at its grimiest! Snapping away at a market stall, a man noticed that my flash went off and proceeded to give me a very nasty look. Needless to say, I quickly moved on and went to ask a lady selling magazines if I could take her photo. The man who had seen my before came storming up to me and saying that I couldn’t just take pictures of who I wanted and what was I taking pictures for anyway. I explained that they were for a competition at school and that I was very sorry for getting him in the background! He was very grumpy indeed and just kept saying, yeah sure you’re sorry, you’re sorry! The magazine lady thought it was all very amusing and told him not to be so paranoid! Anyway, so I am a bit more careful now and make sure I always ask! After that little episode, I went to go and meet my friend Katherine, who lives nearby and we went for a walk and found this very spectacular little church, gold and icons galore!
On Friday, I decided to actually use my day off and did some revision of vocab. I also decided to go for a run! Very out of character I know! Turns out though, there is nowhere to run near where we live and also I really don’t enjoy running. So maybe first and last run for me! I came back and did some sit ups, I’m still aching a bit! Health kick, done.
On Saturday, two girls from school, Eva and I went to do some volunteer work. One of the girls from school found out about a charity called Maria’s children which is involved with many orphanages around Moscow. They have a few centres where they invite the children to come and hang out every week. So we went and were there for a few hours just painting, drawing and teaching them a bit of English. It was really fun actually, they were really great kids aged from about 6-12. They were really happy and excited to see us, but I think it is important for them to have some kind of continuity and routine, so I think I will go again next Saturday.
On Sunday, after a very late start I decided to treat myself and spend my birthday money! So you will all be pleased to know that I bought a lovely grey woollen dress!
Anyway, that is all for now.
Big love x x

No comments:

Post a Comment