Sunday 13 December 2009

A quick catch up x


























So, I’m very sorry that I haven’t written for so long. I have either been really busy, or had nothing to report! Since I last wrote, I have been trying to think of the things that I have been doing, and it’s not very much! I went on a school trip (only four of us actually turned up!) to Tolstoy’s house. It was pretty amazing because it still had all of his and his family’s things in tact as they were left. I particularly liked seeing his study where he would have written many of his novels. There was a bin underneath the desk and you could just imagine him sitting there and throwing away pages of Anna Karenina that weren’t quite up to scratch! It also had a pair of winter boots that Lev himself made! After the museum, the four of us went to a cafe and sat for a good while chatting away. This was all in Russian as our literature teacher doesn’t speak any English. That was a couple of Saturdays ago and that was the evening that Eva and I decided to have a party! Irina had told us that she would be away for the weekend, so we decided to have a few people round for drinks before we went out. Well, all was going swimmingly, we made brownies and other people had brought snacks and everyone was having a good time. However, then Irina came home and was unimpressed to say the least! There were not that many people round, but I think it was just the fact that we had not told her the complete truth! Eva had only asked if a ‘few’ people could come round for dinner. Well I think a few had been interpreted as only two. Anyway, we cleared off pretty sharpish after that! Things were pretty cool for the rest of that week... but I bought her a couple of smelly things for the bath to apologise and things got better after that!!






The week after that, I seriously have nothing to report! A couple of our good friends left, so we had some leaving drinks at this amazing bar named after Mendeleev. The bar was chemistry themed and all the drinks were foaming and steaming, so that was the excitement of my week! Katherine and I tried and failed to get tickets for the Nutcracker at the Bolshoi. If you want the student tickets, you have to go two hours before the performance and queue up along with the other students! Although we got there with plenty of time, and had a good place in the queue, it turned out that there was a list. We were not on the list! After about an hour of standing in the snow waiting, we were pretty cold, so thawed out in a sushi restaurant!






On Monday of this week, it snowed all day. We were all very excited and couldn’t concentrate in class at all! After class, a few of us went to have a look at red square in the snow! It was pretty cool because they hadn’t cleared any of the snow away yet! The next day, we had the day off school because we were all going on another school trip to the Literature museum. So, Tom, Fred and I decided to meet up a couple of hours before and take advantage of the ice-skating ring that has been put up in red square outside GUM. I was so nervous, because the last time I went ice skating was in Berlin with Tom and I was absolutely appalling! I even fell over and dragged him with me resulting in a black eve for him and nothing for me! But to my shock, I was actually alright! I only fell over once. It was such a fantastic experience as well to be ice skating on red square! The literature museum was actually really good, thought there was a lot of random crap in there such as a photo of Pushkin’s doctor who looked after him after a duel and then a photo of the doctor with his wife’s ex best friends dog!






On Wednesday, Katherine, our Peruvian friend Elizabeth went to Archangelsk... that however, is another story!






Love you all






xxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment